Thursday, February 10, 2011

Colombo Model United Nations Practice Debate 1

On the 29th of January 2011, the Colombo Model United Nations (COMUN) held a practice debate at the Overseas School of Colombo. The structure of MUN here is totally different to the other MUN conferences that I have attended so I actually found this extremely difficult to follow.

There were five conferences; General Assembly (GA) 01, GA02, GA03, ECOSOC and Security Council (SC). I was placed in Security Council as the delegation of Austria. The SC that day was discussing the situation in Pakistan, which involved the Islamic Extremist uprising and the conflict between the Taliban and the Al Qaeda. We all have to give an opening speech which is a brief 3 minute speech outlining the country's stance on the topic.

The other delegates issued several moderative caucus topics in which time, usually of about 10 to 15 minutes, was given to discuss a specific topic.

We spent the second half of the day writing up resolutions, which basically stated the methods in which our delegations were prepared to handle the problems. We then debated these resolutions, giving speeches for and against it, making amendments to clauses that needed fixing and finally voted for them.

During this debate I felt I was increasing my awareness and areas for growth, undertaking new challenges, working collaboratively with others, showing perseverance and committment, engaging in issues of global importance and developing new skills. Although I have done MUN before, the conference here was extremely intense and it made me realize the areas in which I need to grow in while helping me build my public speaking skills. I worked collaboratively with others when the delegates of certain nations got together to construct a resolution together.

No comments:

Post a Comment